Wednesday 7 September 2011

Meagre Pickings

I received reports from friends around the country that they had rain on and off during the summer, however here we seem to be in a very dry spot right in the middle of the country. With the shortage of rain, and hot dry sunny days the wild brambles just have not been up to their usual fecundity. What fruit I found were small and fairly dry, until I came to a patch which I knew grew in an old dew pond. However I only picked one small box full. They went into the freezer with a few others I had picked elsewhere, and in a few weeks, I shall consider what to make with them.









On the way back I spied a wild damson tree and filled the other tub I had.

I did not pick many but being such a rich flavoured fruit, there was sufficient to make a few pots of Damson Jam. Just to add a certain je ne sais quoi, I added a few star anise seeds.

They were sifted out with the stones before I added the sugar. As there was so little I potted the jam up into 8 ounce jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment