Monday 8 October 2012

Sweet Eve Strawberry Jam

Just before I went on holiday, I spied some delicious looking strawberries in Waitrose, and was amused by their name:  Sweet Eve.  Even though I ought to have been getting the house ready for our departure, I found time to use the macerating technique.




It was a  sunny day, and the conservatory warm and sunny is the ideal spot, but windows and doors needed to remain closed as the wonderful smell would have attracted any late flying wasp in the vicinity.  Within a couple of hours, the juices were starting to flow out and dissolve the sugar.


After some packing, I returned to find the concoction ready for the stove.


Just a few small jars, and they had to wait till we got back for the labelling.  Last week I was focused on getting all the washing and ironing from the holiday done, and getting ready for my first time as Chairman of Kenilworth in Bloom, as it was our annual prize giving evening.

Finally the jars are labelled up.  I decided to call the preserve Eve's Strawberry Jam.  I found a detail of a very old recipe, where a few cloves were added to the boiling.  I haven't tasted it yet.  The recipe was from the times when spices and sugar were really only for the very well off....

As I labelled up the jars, my thoughts turned to a lady I used to work with called Eve.  We are no longer in touch, but I have fond memories of her.  She was the only lady in the Department who worked Part-time, and whilst we all worked long hours, she seemed to have the work life balance just right.  She had time to make jam, biscuits, and knit, and I still have some lovely hand made christmas decorations which she gave me.  I've had them for over 15 years now.


No comments:

Post a Comment