Friday 23 August 2019

Runner Bean Chutney

Its that time of year again when I have just a few runner beans to spare.  I have one wigwam, with about seven plants.  The variety is Moonlight and has white flowers, and nicest of all is self fertile.  Several neighbours and friends have had a handful or so...


Last week I had a good kilo so decided to make runner bean chutney.  I scoured my preserves books, but could not find one I liked....and on the internet came across Nigel Slater's Runner Bean Chutney.

I altered the recipe but generally kept to his technique, omitting the tomatoes and using only cider vinegar.  Although I make quite a few 'mustard' based pickles, the addition of the allspice berries gives a wonderful aroma and flavour. 



This gave 5 350g jars plus a smaller 250g one.

2 medium onions
150ml cider vinegar
8 allspice berries
1tsp coriander seeds...I used fresh green seeds from the garden
1 Kg prepared runner beans
1tbsp English Mustard Powder..Coleman's of course
2tsp grain mustard
2tsp tumeric
150ml cider vinegar
200g granulated sugar
1 heaped tsp sea salt
30g cornflour

For method check out the link to Nigel Slater's recipe.  The jars are maturing in the dark.....

The colour is fantastic....to lighten up gloomy winter days....

No comments:

Post a Comment