Sunday 7 August 2016

Plum Chutney with Moroccan Spices



It must be madness to be making chutney or jam when the weather is so hot...but preserve we must whilst the season's pickings are available.  Janet emailed me and kindly offered several pounds of beautiful looking Opal dessert plums, just picked off her tree, which I picked up Friday evening.  I was very pleased to accept as my tree succumbed to disease a couple of years ago.

With the heat, I was just not ready to do lots of research, neither did I want to go out shopping for cooking apples which are normally used in most plum chutneys.  I therefore  decided to revisit Moroccan Spiced Plum Chutney, which I had made back in 2013.  Last time I used Victoria Plums and  white onions, but this time I used red onions and have tweaked the recipe, grinding a mixture of my own spices as I was running out of Ras el Hanout.



1.75Kg Opal Plums, or any other mediums sized plums
625g red onions, peeled and chopped
175g stoned dates, chopped
500g organic cider vinegar
175g soft brown sugar
100g pine nuts, gently roasted
3tsp Ras el Hanout...I ground a blend of Black Peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, green cardamom, dried ginger, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, and dried chilli.
1.5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tbsp cummin seeds crushed gently
1/2 tsp salt

The plums were all cut up, after being washed and the stones removed.
They went into the large pan, with all the other ingredients other than the Ras el Hanout and the pine nuts.  After about ten minutes simmering, the rest was added, and with frequent stirring, the chutney started to thicken quite nicely taking another half an hour or so.

Meantime, I had the jars washed, and warming through in the oven.  With a ladle and jar funnel, 7 large and 2 medium jars were filled.  The jars now need to be stored in a dark place, and time allowed for the chutney to mature: two months should do it!

1 comment:

  1. This delightful chutney paired with grilled pork chops and asparagus stunningly!

    Thank you...for your superb posts and outstanding recipes!

    ReplyDelete