Wednesday 4 September 2024

Fig, Marsala and Pine Nut Preserve - Celebrating the Fig and Sicily

 It is Fig Season and there are delicious ripe figs to be had, at a good price.  Over on my other blog, I have just written about two more fig preserves.  Of course on this blog you can search past years for a number of ways to preserve figs into a delish compote or jam.

This little preserve of Figs and Marsala and Pine Nuts is going to made up into some delicious tarts in the coming months, perfect on a winter's day after a special meal.


 1Kg prepared ripe dark purple figs

600g granulated sugar

2 large lemons zest of and juice

200ml Marsala , I used Cantine de Vita Dolce fromWaitrose

125g Pine nuts

I chop the fruit into small pieces, and leave it in a shallow dish together with all the other ingredients except for the pine nuts.  After a number of hours the juices will be running freely, and now is the time to start the boiling.  

It is really as for any other jam, except there is a tendency for the fruit to fall to the bottom and catch if you don't tend to it regularly, by this I mean stirring along the bottom of the pan.  Whilst the jars are being heated up in the oven, I warm through and gently roast the pine nuts, which I only add when the setting point is nearly reached. The pine nuts too need careful watching, and when you take them out of the oven, remove them onto a cold surface rather than leave them on a very hot baking sheet, so as to arrest any further roasting.

I must confess that I probably wouldn't have made this if I didn't have Marsala and pinenuts lying around!  These are a 'luxury' item, but just like little treats people buy themselves, culinary delicacies are one of my weaknesses!

If you want to understand how I arrived at this preserve then follow this link! 



No comments:

Post a Comment