Wednesday 30 October 2019

Roasted Red Pepper and Chili Sauce

I am writing this up after making a small batch, as it has proved to be excellent, and I will certainly want to make this again!




I bought some of those small sweet red peppers from the market, and also had a couple of long sweet pointed red peppers in the fridge:

450g Red Peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
110g cooking apple, peeled and chopped.
110g red onion, peeled and chopped
6 home grown red hot chillis...or to taste, deseeded and chopped small
1 Large twig thyme + 1 large stem of parsley + 1 bayleaf + 10cm fresh tender rosemary + 1/2 tsp fresh green coriander seeds + 1/2 tsp whole black pepper corns + 3 allspice whole berries
300ml water

175cl cider vinegar
50g soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cornflour


Roast the sweet peppers, drizzled with a little olive olive oil,  in a hot oven till the skin starts to char slightly, and the peppers are soft.  Remove from the oven, and cover with a baking tray to trap the steam.  As soon as they can the handled, remove the stalks, and seeds, and remove the stalks from thyme and rosemary.

Put all the above ingredients down to the water in a pan with a lid, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes on the top of the stove, till soft.  Remove the bay leaf, and the parsley stalk, and blitz till smooth.  It could be strained at this stage, but I like a little texture.

Add 150 cider vinegar and the soft brown sugar and salt, and cook for a further 25 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, with the lid off.  When it is reasonably thick...stir in the cornflour cut with the remainder of the vinegar, cook for a further 10 minutes stirring all the time.  Pot in small pots which have been sterilized.  Store in the fridge for use within three weeks or so, or freeze.  I am sure you could also store in a dark cupboard.



9 comments:

  1. This brought a tear to my eye! I created an 80/20 mix of Red Bell Peppers and Habaneros. Still, a spicy concoction indeed, even after removing the ribs and seeds! I served this as a dip with cream cheese AND combined with pineapple and mango, this made a fantastic fruit salsa to serve with salmon, swordfish, halibut, and other fatty fish. This nicely cut through the rich mouth feel of the fish!

    Bless you, Mrs. S!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a tear because you were reminded of the extreme heat in yours, or just an emotional memory Smith 1599? This preserve is relatively mild, with the majority of peppers sweet. I have been enjoying this on so much, including a drizzle on top of soup to give colour contrast and a little punchy flavour.

      Delete
  2. Meaning I have another arrow in my quiver of flavor. I was getting bored with salsas and pepper jellies. This is a great option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using it all the time...great on a mixed plate we even had it 'adorn' dinner of roasted butternut squash and chesnuts with fried black pudding with a great helping of stir fried curly Kale. The splash of red and the flavour brought everything to a different level.

      Delete
  3. Hello Mrs. S!

    I'm missing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you. I made a Hot Damson Sauce a few weeks ago, and lots of other jams and lemon marmalade but nothing quite original enough to post about. The Damson Jam, my originaal recipe, was so very fiddly sieving all the stones out. However it is so rich and delicious that I am sure to make it again, probably next year now! I've now uploaded a Romanesco Kimchi made yesterday.

      Delete
    2. From time to time I have posted on my main blog, just input jam, chutney, pickle etc in the search engine to find them more quickly Mr/Mrs/Miss Smith.

      Delete