Friday 9 November 2012

Grapefruit and Lemon Marmalade


With three big beauties on the kitchen counter, and organic lemons, I revisited my first attempt written up in my journal....but I had not written the technique.  I remember something about using a processor, but the recipe in the book said cut up the peel finely before the first cooking stage.  Compromise:  cut up the peel, and process the insides, minus the pips of course.



Mostly I cut up the peel after it has been cooked either on the whole fruit, or quartered, which is much easier.  This grapefruit was cut up raw, into very fine pieces.  By the time I had finished I had a little pain in the elbow, not tennis elbow, but Preserving Elbow...the lemon went into the processor!


I set the completed marmalade to cool overnight, but first caught the warm colour in the low sunshine, just the colour of all the leaves on the front garden ready to be swept up.



A couple of days later, I designed and printed off the labels, I have my little pot of diluted glue in a pretty very mini jam jar with spotty top, brought from the Summer Food Show by Penny....

now I have Seville, Apricot and Orange, Lime, and Grapefruit and Lemon Marmalade to choose from to go on my breakfast toast.  Actually I only allow myself to have two open jars at any one time.




No comments:

Post a Comment